It’s everywhere, and it won’t be going away. ‘Going green’ is a lifestyle choice that millions of people worldwide are embracing whole-heartedly in their personal and professional lives. Jumping on the band-wagon is important for Canadian small businesses, as consumers are avidly seeking greener campaigns and appreciate brands with like-wise motivations.
Making eco-friendly choices for your business shouldn’t be intimidating. Actively contributing to green campaigns is a responsibility we all share, and choosing to be proactive about your business’s carbon footprint indicates professionalism and sustainability. Making subtle changes to reduce energy and paper waste will impress existing clients and may attract additional customer demographics.
Depending on seasonality, industry and their size, owners will have to assess the best way to implement their green small business initiatives. Companies who cater exclusively to an enviro-sensitive market are more likely to embrace a green agenda for the sake of appealing to the ideologies of their clientele, whereas promoting ‘green campaigns’ may be irrelevant to businesses who do not deal with consumers face-to-face.
It’s (surprisingly) affordable. Besides saving money in the long run with greater client retention, part of the reason that going-green initiatives have garnered so much attention is because many changes are actually cost reductive.
Below, we’ve compiled some tips that can be easily implemented by most small businesses:
- Turning off equipment when it’s not being used. This can reduce the energy used by 25 percent; turning off the computers at the end of the day can save an additional 50 percent.
- Encouraging communications by email, and reading email messages onscreen to determine whether it’s necessary to print them. If it’s not, don’t!
- Producing double-sided documents whenever possible.
Latest posts by David Gens (see all)
- Credit Score for Business Loan Applications - September 19, 2014
- Customer Loyalty and the Small Business - September 17, 2014
- Funding as an Element of Small Business Goal Setting - September 15, 2014
- Small Business Job Credit to EI Announced - September 12, 2014