Merchant Advance Capital Ltd. is a national financial services company that provides working capital to small and medium-sized businesses throughout Canada. The company is seeking an experienced Underwriter for their Head Office in Vancouver, British Columbia. This is an excellent opportunity to join a fast-paced team that boasts an exciting, dynamic, and progressive work environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing, evaluating and approving a loan application. He/she will be comfortable granting exceptions to company policy when necessary and delegating subsequent tasks to the administrative team. Applicants should have excellent organizational skills, be able to juggle competing priorities and perform underwriting tasks efficiently and a high degree of consistency and accuracy.
This role is best suited for an individual with an exemplary ability to think analytically and work efficiently under pressure. Attention to detail, prioritization, and time-management skills will be necessary for the long-term success of this role. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Risk Officer. Additional training will be provided.
Preference will be given to candidates who are bilingual (English and French) and have underwriting experience in leasing.
Employment Type: ASAP, Full Time, Monday to Friday
Location: Downtown Vancouver, British Columbia (Preference will be given to candidate’s willing to relocate)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assess and analyze loan applications; review, evaluate and analyze credit and financial history of applications including capacity to pay and make final underwriting decision
- Grant approvals in accordance with company
- Provide rationale to managers in regards to the underwriting process and the analysis that took place where such applications are either approved or refused
- Adhere to acceptable review timeframes for analysis of applications and underwriter best practices
- Incorporate new (or changes to) policies and procedures in a live environment fluidly so as not to disrupt workflow for the underwriting unit
- Answer queries from internal and external sales staff pertaining to applications submitted for analysis and/or exception approval from the underwriting team
- Pinpoint fraudulent documents during analysis and report these to appropriate departments and the underwriting unit
- Match and validate application information such as income, financial information, and credit ratings to make a final underwriting decision in the approval process
- Prepare detailed internal reports
- Make outbound merchant calls where required in order to collect additional underwriting information needed to make funding decision
- Be able to interact with our internal statistical model
- Responsible for all tiers of underwriting with emphasis on the highest underwriting tier
- Ability to handle increased pressure and tight deadlines of top-tier deals and make the correct funding decision as they have a greater dollar impact on the book
- Report findings to the credit committee and make appropriate follow up to close/decline the deal
- An understanding of small business lending
- Demonstrated underwriting expertise with 1 to 5 years underwriting experience
- Ability to understand and analyze financial reports
- Ability to make informed underwriting decisions based on incomplete information and rushed timelines
- Able to prioritize and handle multiple underwriting files and tasks in a time sensitive manner
- Comfortable in a busy operation and ability to remain calm under pressure
- Able to interpret, adapt to, and apply new underwriting policy guidelines and procedures
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to cross-reference information for accuracy
- Exceptional organization and time-management skills
- Experience in the financial industry is considered an asset
- Strong administrative skills with high interest to work in an administrative capacity and analyzing various documents
- High level of computer literacy, Intermediate to Advance skill level in Microsoft Excel
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) such that decisions and instructions/guidance can be conveyed in a clear manner
- Analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work autonomously in a team environment
- Preferably a graduate student from a Business program or similar field of study
- Previous underwriting/financial industry experience is a must
To Apply please follow this link for the Senior Underwriter role.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates for further consideration will be contacted.