Published on November 12, 2018
Vice President of Risk Management – Leasing Division
Merchant Advance Capital is a national financial services company that provides working capital and equipment leasing / asset-based lending to small and medium-sized businesses throughout Canada. We are seeking an experienced Vice President of Risk Management for our Head Office in Vancouver, British Columbia. This is an excellent opportunity to join a fast-paced team that boasts an exciting, dynamic, and progressive work environment.
The Vice President of Risk Management will be responsible for the leadership and oversight of Merchant Advance Capital’s risk management & underwriting function in its Leasing Division. This includes ownership of credit policy and the development of risk strategy, performance management, and credit loss forecasting. It also includes management of day-to-day underwriting decisions. The Vice President of Risk Management will be part of the management team and will need to closely collaborate with the other leaders to collectively drive growth strategies for Merchant Advance Capital’s leasing / asset-based lending division.
- Provide credit risk leadership and execution expertise with respect to Merchant Advance Capital’s equipment leasing / asset-based lending products.
- Responsible for credit risk management reporting including building credit risk models and underwriting policies & procedures.
- Perform sophisticated asset/collateral valuations and establish repeatable/scalable processes for asset/collateral valuations across a broad range of asset types.
- Perform scenario / stress-test analysis on the portfolio and on asset/collateral valuations taking into account potential economic downturn scenarios.
- Lead and support the development and implementation of credit risk and loss mitigation plans.
- Build policies / procedures for delinquent asset realization / collection strategies and execute / manage those strategies.
- Provide insight to business leaders through ad hoc requests, projects, and initiatives.
- Lead analytics, reporting and ongoing enhancement of credit policy and risk strategy to drive organic business growth with balanced risk and reward trade-offs.
- Incorporate specific data or risk analysis of product performance into regular risk and portfolio reporting and prepare associated presentation materials and documentation.
- Manage portfolio loss results to acceptable levels while supporting business profitability objectives and regulatory requirements.
- Coach, develop and manage a high-performance team.
- Ensure policies, procedures and formal delegations are in place to maintain effective coordination and control of all credit risk activities and delegate authority and responsibility as appropriate.
- Meet regularly with the management team to collaborate on priorities and goals.
- Review and effectively challenge management’s credit risk reporting.
- Other related duties as required.
Required experience, knowledge, and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or a quantitative field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 10 years of experience within the financial services industry in progressively more responsible positions.
- Strong knowledge of credit risk, equipment leasing, asset-based lending, statistics, business finance, capital funding, and contracts.
- Sound understanding of risk management.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Results oriented, problem solver, strategic thinker, and planner.
- Driven to help profitably grow company sales.
- Strong relationship builder internally and externally. Ability to manage partners and vendors.
- Effectively communicate business performance at all levels.
- Motivated to develop and mentor people.
- Proven ability to lead and develop a strong team.
- Good listener and advisor.
- Respected and trusted by peers, earned through performance.
- Working knowledge of analytics BI tools and statistical programming languages such as SAS, SQL, R, or Python would be an asset.
To Apply please follow this link for the Vice President of Risk Management role.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates for further consideration will be contacted.